When life gives you lemons, life is good…
Lemons are amazing and their essential oils are even more remarkable! Essential oils are powerful and super concentrated. Just one drop of essential oil contains hundreds of unique compounds offering numerous health and wellness benefits.
Let’s explore some of the more notable benefits of lemon essential oil:
Cleansing and purifying: Lemon is a natural antiseptic and powerful disinfectant. Lemon can be effective in cleaning skin, internal body systems, household surfaces, clothing, dishes, and even purifying the air of germs and bacteria.
Oral health (remedy for bad breath): Often times bad breath is caused by bacteria build up. Lemon can prevent the growth of bacteria in your mouth and can mask some of the unpleasant odors that flow from your mouth.
Cough relief: Lemon can help reduce inflammation and is packed with antioxidants that can help fight throat infections and reduce phlem with its antibacterial properties.
Calming: Lemon essential oil has been shown to reduce stress with its calming properties.
Nourishes Skin: Lemon essential oil can detoxify and reduce excessive oil on skin helping restore luster and help rid skin of pesky pimples and other skin disorders.
Boosts immune system: Unlike a Lemon, lemon essential oil does not contain vitamins. However, it does contain antioxidants that help boost the immune system and fend off disease.
Promotes healthy weight loss: Lemon oil can suppress appetite and improve digestive health. It can also help rid your body of toxins stored in fat cells. Ultimately is can help in a balanced strategy for losing weight.
Energizing and stimulating: Inhaling lemon essential oil and other citrus oils can help increase concentration and alertness. According to Alan Hirsch, MD “Inhaling the sweet, tangy, aroma of lemon, orange or any other citrus can kick-start beta wave production, raising your alertness and energy levels by 50 percent or more within two minutes.”
Calms stomach: Lemon can help ease indigestion, nausea, and upset stomach with its carminative (relieving gas or flatulence) properties.
Food enhancer (amazing flavor and aroma): Lemon smells and tastes refreshing and delicious. No further explanation needed;)
10 Simple Uses for Lemon Essential Oil
We’re making the assumption that you have access to high quality, therapeutic grade essential oils. So, if that isn’t the case, please proceed with caution. The purity and quality of an essential oil can influence how potent, effective and safe it is for each use and application.
1) Laundry Helper: Place a few drops of lemon essential oil in your laundry to freshen them up, remove odor and even help lift stains.
2) Air Freshener & Sanitizer: Diffuse lemon essential oil to cleanse and disinfect the air in your work or living space.
3) Grease & Oil Buster: Add lemon essential oil to your soap to remove grease and oil from your hands, dishes and other surfaces.
4) Natural Disinfectant: Add lemon essential oil to your homemade cleaners for killing germs and blasting grease.
5) Immune Booster: Add a few drops to your drinking water, diffuse, or mix with coconut oil and rub on chest and neck to combat cold, sore throat and congestion.
6) Clean, Sparkly Dishes: Add a few drops of lemon to your next load of dishes for more sparkle, less grease, and a pleasant lemon scent.
7) Silver Polish: Place a few drops of lemon essential oil on a cloth to shine up your silver around the house.
8) Goo-be-Gone / De-gummer: Use lemon essential oil to remove gum, glue, sticky stickers, and even permanent marker.
9) Natural Lemon Soda: Add a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil to club soda and sweeten with stevia. Makes for a refreshing summer treat.
10) Energy Boost & Mood Enhancer: Need a quick pick me up? Add some lemon essential oil to a glass of water or diffuse to lift your spirits.
Caution: Please be aware that not all essential oils are created equal. Cheap inexpensive oils are often not suitable for internal or even topical use. Always use pure, therapeutic grade oils and read labels with diligence. Most oil brands that are safe for ingestion will have supplemental guidelines and instructions on their labels. Never ingest an essential oil unless you know it’s safe for internal use. If necessary, consult your doctor or a medical professional before use.
What do you use lemon essential oil for? Tell us in the comments below…
Here are some other useful articles about the uses and benefits of lemon essential oil.
Disclaimer: We are not doctors, we’re not aromatherapists and we certainly don’t claim to be the supreme experts on essential oils. This article is a result of our own research, experiences, and passion for essential oils and natural wellness. The statements and opinions on this site are not approved nor endorsed by the FDA nor any other medical organization. We invite you to do your own research and use common sense. If you find something here that you disagree with or feel is inaccurate, we welcome your feedback. Our mission is to share our passion for essential oils but also bring clarity, accuracy and exposure to the aromatherapy world.